09 March 2010

Fiber, roughage, & all that good stuff


I like brown rice and Kashi cereals. Joey, not so much. I used to sneak lovingly make a 1/2 brown rice, 1/2 white rice mixture....but there was no point bc Joey wouldn't eat it. So I only cooked white rice.

Until very recently. He attended a conference meeting & came home with The full plate diet. All of a sudden, I am now getting requests to cook only brown rice. And buy only high fiber foods.
Who are you & what have you done with my husband?
My grocery list now includes: Lentils, beans, avocado, broccoli, artichokes, cauliflower, quinoa, sweet potato, whole grain bread/cereal/etc, almond butter + flaxseed, potatoes, bananas, oranges, among other things.

It's been good, everything we grew up hearing from our parents about the NEWSTART way, but in an easy-to-read format.

The basic premise? Eat fiber. Every day. 40 grams of it. No calorie counting.

So far, so good. Especially Trader Joe's 3 Minute Brown rice.

3 comments:

Joyce Yoon said...

Good for Joey! Isn't amazing that you now realize that the stuff your parents were trying to make you eat was because they love you and wanted you to be healthy??? Besides, eating that way sets a great example for your kids! More power to you....if you come across any great recipes, please share!

gina said...

Yes, good for Joey. I'm actually grateful that my husband loves eating the way his mom fed him.

Jennifer said...

flax seed oil works wonders too! try with popcorn or baked potatoes. I love the almond butter machines at Whole Foods...